Synaptic Tangent

Saturday, May 17, 2008

All's Well That Ends Well

Wellie, wellie, well...

So ends one long fucking chapter of theatre history. We closed out Acrobat last Sunday. Everything went very well. Much better than I'd ever hoped. Seriously, when Melanie and I looked around at the PS Collective two summers ago and Mel convinced me, "Do Acrobat. Do it!" I never imagined things would go this far and turn out so incredible.

We had a great show. Really, we did. I was worried for so long that my script would be confusing, or that I wouldn't give the actors the right direction, or that nothing would come together...but it all did. And we had a beautiful show. We made people cry. We kept their attention. Our back-up light board operator, Andy, even said to me that he thought there were a few of what he calls "grace moments" in the show, which I find flattering. But he's right...I was amazed at how this show brought out the best in everyone, including myself. We had great picturization, great acting, great characters, great lighting, great sound...

One moment Andy specifically mentioned as his favorite moment in the entire show...end of Act One, the final moment before lights down, when the Dancer closes Arthur's eyes and then slowly turns profile, away from him as she sleeps...it just looked beautiful. After seeing it, I was so fucking relieved that the vision I saw in my head these past 6 years actually WORKS and it wasn't just some insane fantasy from my own warped perspective.

My only regret is that we didn't get bigger crowds. But who knows? Acrobat may live on, again. I don't intend on just letting the script end here. I'm not sure what my next step is - I need time to relax and reflect - but I will pursue something.

.....

In other news, I took 2 days off work this week. I had sushi. Another day, I had Panera's turkey artichoke panini, which is amazing. I was craving artichoke, don't know why. Kevin Steward hosted another cast/crew/whoever party last night. Eric found Tequila Rose Cocoa at the store, which was pretty damn tasty on the rocks...so of course, he got drunk from that. Me? I just kept drinking beer after beer, which I'm sure is great for my diet. I got the Berry Weiss, which tastes good to me...I don't know, it's nice and sweet without being candy-ish, so I tend to go through it quickly.

Tonight, Eric, Chip, Jennifer, John and I are going to go see The Crucible at the Omaha Community Playhouse. Excited to get to see Scott and Amy perform on the stage there. Yay! Great actors, AND a full facility with gadgets and whatnot!

I think my goal this summer, since I'm taking the summer off from theatre, is to find a place for Eric and I to live. His family's been very nice, and his mom's very sweet about getting us all this new stuff to make this place homier, but...it's time to move on. I'm 27, and I've finally got my finances in place. I want to live on my own again. I want Eric and I to have our own nice place, where we can have friends over, and cook dinner, etc.

OK...I've got to get myself ready here in a little while and go do some grocery shopping. Hellz yeah. Badass grocery shopping.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home