Synaptic Tangent

Friday, July 28, 2006

The Wind and the Oceans

Okay, you want to know something really freaky? Well, here goes. And I'm not exaggerating.

I dreamt last night that I heard the voice of God.

...

Seriously, not joking. Now, I don't mean, "God told me to do this! I'm Neo Joan of Arc!" That's not what I mean.

I mean that I had a dream that I was going to meet God for some reason. And that doesn't mean I was about to meet George Burns and ask him all about womanhood. It was weird - I wasn't dead, but for some reason I was going to SEE and HEAR the creator of the universe.

Now, stop for a moment, and really THINK about the effect of this...

This does not mean I was about to meet "The Big Guy". Not some old guy who has the power to do anything he wants. That's not how my definition of "God" is.

To give you an example...let's say you were amazed by...dinosaurs, mountains, oceans, stars, gargantuan things...and you knew that in a few minutes you would see something - not JUST something but someone (a who and a what, combined) that would dwarf all these things in its size and its awesomeness...

This is just an example. But I was being taken somewhere, and I knew that I was about to meet the Ultimate Being - I was about to see the single greatest, most gargantuan (and he was going to be, in my dream, both physically and abstractly the most gargantuan thing ever), most awe-inspiring thing I have or ever will see.

I can't even describe what that feels like. It's the single most nerve-wracking thing ever. It was like a combination of excitement and fear, like moving and terrifying all at once.

But I didn't get to see him in the dream. I woke up before that. But not before I heard a voice say the following:

"I am the wind
And the oceans..."

This voice came all of a sudden, and yet I was expecting it. It's like...I knew the words were there before I heard them. But let me explain what it felt like, HEARING them...this is the REALLY REALLY freaky part...

The second I heard the voice saying those words...Okay, have you ever had one of those moments that make you gasp, and suddenly it feels like the blood drains from your body and you feel like everything stops - your breath, your heart, possibly even time itself...

That's what it felt like. It was catharsis mixed with fear. By fear, I don't mean dread or terror, I simply mean...well, for instance, lightning storms are gorgeous, but you still have a fear of them, a respect for their power.

The second I heard and processed the voice, it was like my heart literally stopped. Like a feeling of all the moments that have ever emotionally moved me, both good and bad, suddenly concentrated into my body in a single moment, spreading like liquid quickly. It felt like time stopped for the voice.

And somehow I knew that what I was hearing was only a minor REFLECTION of his real voice.

...

Okay, have I made everyone go "Uh...okay, Prophety McProph-Proph Eric...time to calm down, you're not seeing God, you're just stressed out," yet?

LOL, seriously, though. The dream didn't rattle me that much. It was just very interesting. And somehow, comforting.

2 Comments:

Blogger Melanie said...

You are Too lucky to have this gift. Seriously, that's what it is.

6:41 PM  
Blogger Melanie said...

so.....

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home