Synaptic Tangent

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

No One Wants Salad

In the words of Grandma Mary to her grandson Hugh, "Don't you want salad?" I'm just saying that cuz I posted my salad recipe on Althena's Court Online (the place where all of the online friends of Nicole and I post), and only like 1 person thought it sounded good because everyone else hates vegetables, and lately I've looking at the eating habits of this country and the average lower middle-class family and thinking, "What the fuck is wrong with people?"

People...listen, you don't go through life just doing what you WANT...there are certain things that are good for you and you MAKE yourself do them, and if you do, eventually they'll seem like good things, like eating vegetables, you'll start to love vegetables.

You know, Nicole used to respond to that sort of theory with an answer that always bothered the shit out of me and I could always tell that deep down she knew that what she was saying was wrong. She would say:

"If I don't like something to begin with, I don't see why I should I force myself to do it until I like it."

You know, I think that very attitude is part of what overwhelmed her and made her more depressed. It's too complicated to explain right now. It's one of those things that's so subtle that only someone who's known someone for years can see it.

That's why I think I've become so vehement about this sort of shit. I fucking hate the new attitude that's spreading across this country of "Make things easy, do what you WANT, it's your right, it's your life, why should you have to do things you don't want to do? I'm okay, you're okay..."

Parents are doing shit like cutting the fucking crusts off their kids' sandwiches - MAKE THEM EAT THE FUCKING CRUST, YOU PANSIES!

Good God, you know, I see Eric's little brother Jordan sometimes and I see the very embodiment of this sort of undisciplined new generation of thought.

YOU HAVE TO LEARN DISCIPLINE SO THAT YOU CAN SELF-DISCIPLINE YOURSELF AS AN ADULT LATER IN LIFE!!!!!!!!!!! YOU HAVE TO LEARN THAT THERE ARE THINGS YOU SHOULD DO, BECAUSE GUESS WHAT, THIS WORLD IS ABSOLUTELY NOT ALL ABOUT WHAT YOU WANT!

I firmly believe there are two steps to growing up:

1) Realizing the world is NOT about what you want and that you only get things exactly as you want them a small percentage of the time.

then

2) The more important step - realizing that this "bleak truth" is actually the way things SHOULD be, despite your childish complaints about it, and that if everyone realized this simple truth, then the selfishness could disappear completely and the world would function together as a whole.

Unfortunately, I don't believe such harmony will ever be achieved in this world. But I believe it's important to behave as if it could. Because I do believe in the value of a life as a whole and the reward or punishment of the next life.

People, put things into perspective. Guess what? You're a pathetic fucking tiny speck. You're not here to be the center of things. You're here to join with the other tiny specks and make this world wonderful for everyone. Because this world is for everyone, not for you.

Okay, I think I'm done ranting for now.

Now, to COMPLETELY CONTRADICT my point, I have some venting of my own problems...

1) most major banks are run by crooks
2) I don't know whether to do this job interview I was offered with Ameritrade that would pay like $16-$17 an hour or to stick with Pamida until they hire me full-time for probably a lot less
3) I've got way too much Acrobat shit to do
4) I have had no energy the past two days and have only wanted to sleep and watch TV

There. Now that I've vented that, it's time to move on and just find ways to FIX this shit instead of bitching and pouting about it.

Right? Right.

I think Chip just left me a voicemail. That's cool. I like Chip; he's cool. He's a good guy.

No...no, no, NO, nooooo, they're playing Mambo No. 5 or whatever it's called on the radio! AAAUUUUUGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I shall counter this wretched song with something infinitely better:

"She was a January girl
She never let on how insane it was
In that tiny kinda scary house
By the woods, by the woods, by the woods,
By the woods...

Black dove...
Black dove...
You're not a helicopter
You're not a cop-out either
Black dove...
Black dove...
You don't need a spaceship
They don't know you've already lived

On the other side of the galaxy
The other side of the galaxy"

3 Comments:

Blogger JGIII said...

"Just because you like guys that doesn't mean you should. If you try enough women, you'll get to like them." ;)

5:15 PM  
Blogger Melanie said...

Yeah, FORCE yourself to be straight. Jesus. You just kinda went all Larry the Cable guy on me. Cool, my hickness is rubbing off onto you. Pretty soon, you'll like Nascar.

6:28 PM  
Blogger Melanie said...

Just kidding, Nascar sucks.

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home