Synaptic Tangent

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Secret of MAH-nuh

Get it right, people. Mana is pronounced "mah-nuh", NOT "mann-uh" like "man". It's "mah-nuh" like in "monster". It's a real word, look it up in the dictionary. Manna is from the Bible. Mana is all pantheistic and New Age-y.

Stupid clique of Catholic highschool boys playing Magic all "manna manna manna..."

But I digress...

Eric and I are playing Secret of Mana, and when I loaded the game I found an old data file that had my name and the name "Coley" for one of the other playable characters.

I had forgotten that I was always telling Nicole about the story to that game and that she and I were going to start playing through it one time, but we never finished.

One of the plot elements is really depressing, actually. The character of Purim spends the entire game searching for Dyluck, the knight she loves. Dylucks is abducted early on in the plot by Thanatos (name means "death incarnate" isn't that lovely?) who seems to be going about creating cults in towns and draining people of their will to live, harvesting their souls, etc. Anyway, he kidnaps Dyluck, saying Dyluck is special somehow. Later in the story, he even manipulates Dyluck and messes with Purim's feelings by having Dyluck do things like act all possessed and try to kill her, etc.

And by the end of the story, Thanatos, of course, is trying to destroy the world and all, and they finally find him and Dyluck, and Thanatos seems to be weak and dying but he is apparently trying to "move into" Dyluck's body. And he possesses Dyluck, who finally has a lucid moment before Thanatos takes over completely.

And Dyluck looks at Purim and tells her he loves her, but that he's learned that Thanatos is an ancient sorceror who sold his soul to the underworld, etc., and has lived for centuries from body to body an is trying to destroy/rule the world, etc. And he tells Purim goodbye, and then Purim ends up having to kill him and then fight Thanatos's spirit (creepy underworld skeletal ghostly looking thing).

Well, that's all for tonight, I think.

2 Comments:

Blogger Melanie said...

Dude, you're suck I geek, but I love you anyway.

10:11 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

Melanie's Ironic Comment of the Day:

"Dude, you're suck I geek..."

8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home