Synaptic Tangent

Monday, January 09, 2006

"It's a Car Wash, Ladies and Gentlemen!"

Well, this weekend was pretty much crap. Except for Sunday night. And I'll get to that.

So my car breaks down on the way home from work Friday, in Lincoln, after I've already arranged for Don to pick me up at my house so he and Eric and I can go have a drink and see a movie. I have to call Eric and let him know it's a no-go, and then I have to have one of my friends E-MAIL Don since he's at work and it's nearly impossible to reach him by phone, and he has no cell phone, and he is leaving straight from work to go to my house.

I spend most of the weekend stuck at home, and my mom is drinking quite a bit throughout the weekend. Which is always fun.

However, on Sunday, at least, Eric came over during the evening, and my parents were both gone till 10, so Eric and I watched "Hedwig and the Angry Inch". I love that movie. And if you're wondering, that's what the quote in my title for this post is from.

And Melanie, if you're reading this (and I know you are), you have to watch "Hedwig and the Angry Inch". If for no other reason than to watch John Cameron Mitchell in gorgeous costuming and rock out to awesome music. Seriously, though, it's a wonderful movie, and it's the perfect combination of hilarious and sad.

Just to give you an idea, the main character was a young man who grew up in East Berlin, in Communist Germany who wanted to get out of there, and he met an American G.I. who fell for him and then convinced him to get a sex change so that he could legally marry him and get him across the border. The sex change was botched up, leaving him neither male or female. Then, the G.I. proceeds to move with him to Kansas and after a while leaves his "wife" for another man, on the very day that the Berlin Wall fell.

I know that sounds depressing, but that's only the character background, and actually that's not quite what the movie is ABOUT, and most of the movie is actually really funny, as the character puts a cynical and witty spin on everything. And John Cameron Mitchell has a gorgeous singing voice.

Anyway, work is almost done, thank goodness. This day has been so hazy and slow.

I'm gonna leave with quotes from Hedwig:

"Tommy, can you hear me?! From this milkless tit, you SUCKED the very business we call show!"

"The road is my home! My home, the road! And when I think about all the people I've come upon in my travels, I can't help but think about all the people who've come upon me."

"Yeah, long story short...when I woke up from the operation, I was bleeding down there! I was bleeding from a gash between my legs. My first days as a woman, already it's that time of the month!"

"You know, the sun is in your eyes,
And hurricanes and rain
And black and cloudy skies.
You're running up and down that hill.
You turn it on and off at will.
There's nothing here to thrill
Or bring you down.
And as you've got no other choice,
You know you can follow my voice
Through the dark turns and noise
Of this wicked little town."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home